The following cognitive objectives should be addressed:
- Define the vocabulary related to genetic engineering: transformation,
recombinant DNA, host, plasmid, vector, and competent.
- Describe the work of Frederick Griffith as it relates to
- State why E. coli is used in many genetic engineering
- Relate genetic constitution of an organism with its physical
attributes: describe the relationship between genotype and
- Apply the technology used for DNA transformation to current
work in the field of gene therapy.
- Discuss the moral and ethical issues of recombinant DNA technology.
The following laboratory objectives should be
- Use aseptic techniques in transferring cultures and reagents.
- Pipette reagents.
- Heat shock cultures with time and temperaturerestraints.
- Use a spreader to get isolated colonies on agar plates.