The following cognitive objectives should be addressed.
The student will be able to:
- Define the vocabulary related to PCR: DNA, Taq polymerase,
primer, denature, anneal, elongate, target sequence.
- Describe the work of Kary Mullis as it relates to PCR.
- State why PCR is used to identify many bacteria and viruses.
- Relate genetic constitution of an organism with its physical
attributes: describe the relationship between genotype and
- Apply the technology used for PCR to current work in forensics
and genetic testing.
- Discuss the moral and ethical issues of determining a person's
The following laboratory objectives should be
addressed. The student will be able to:
- Pipette reagents.
- Wash a pelletized cell sample.
- Load and run a gel for electrophoresis.
- Compare experimental data with accepted values.