The following cognitive objectives should
The following laboratory objectives should be
addressed. The student will be able to:
- Define vocabulary related to molecular biology: plasmid,
bacteria, alkali, aseptic, lyse, DNA, RNA, precipitate, and
- Explain or discuss the use of bacteria and plasmids in studying
- Explain how plasmids are beneficial to bacteria.
- Explain why scientists insert genes into plasmids.
- Use aseptic techniques in transferring bacterial colonies
to bacterial growth media.
- Pipette reagents.
- Separate liquid (supernatant) from a pellet (precipitate)
by pipetting, after centrifugation.